I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Friday 30 November 2012

Windhill Old Burial Ground


You notice so much more when you're walking than when in a vehicle. I've been along Crag Road in Shipley many times but never spotted this little old burial ground, which lies below the level of the road (that was built in the 1960s) on land that would, I think, have been alongside the Bradford Canal. It really isn't much bigger than you can see from the photo. Scrolling through Google (as you do!) I've discovered that it belonged to Windhill Wesleyan Chapel, which was built in 1834 and is long since demolished (though I found an old photo of it here.) They started burials on this small plot (known as the 'front burial ground') in 1835. By 1855 it was full, so a larger cemetery was opened further up the hill on Owlet Road, though they continued to inter into existing graves until 1918. It seems that there are fairly full records existing of who is buried here and the inscriptions on the graves, so it would be quite easy to research a family tree. As you can see, it's all terribly overgrown now but that makes it look quite romantic.

11 comments:

  1. It makes a great autumn picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to see burial grounds so neglected. It seems to invite vandalism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very romantic, a little gothic..
    This picture tells a lot about times passing by, for living people as well for dead ones..

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a beautiful little graveyard

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made a nice photo from the scene. I do appreciate the research you do for your viewers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I particularly enjoyed seeing this one Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to play down there when was a kid. But if you go look now the trees are that big you can't even see the graveyard now .there is also a hidden one at the top of the grass hill on the left as you go up into Shipley before you get to the motirmotor shop .it's pretty sad they been left to go like this

    ReplyDelete
  8. We used to live in a big old house in Cemetery road and I used to tidy the graves as a child while my friends played in the rec. They never treated me as though I was a wee bit strange thank goodness. The house was called Rose Cottage, long gone now sadly but I loved living there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you have any photos of rose cottage at all? My house is where it once stood.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you wonder down to the train station and at the entrance opposite McDonald's look up the grass Hill towards Eddie Wright motorcycles you will see trees at the top. Inside those trees is a small grave yard with very old graves a lot older than these pictured and also open graves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've known about the graveyard for most of my life, my mum used to work at Carter's, I took my 7yr old son there today, places like that should not be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete