I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Friday 15 March 2013

Distressed


Lately, the weather has been wintry and bitterly cold.  Somehow I haven't felt much like getting togged up and venturing out with my camera.  But I've been putting the time to good use, looking at other people's work and experimenting a bit here and there with some of my images.  I can't remember where I read about it but I came across a phone app called DistressedFX (only £0.69!) and decided to try it. I'm loving it!

Do you remember this photo in its original form? (See here). This is the same photo, exported to my iPhone, given the DistressedFX treatment and then reimported to my Mac. I really like the result. The program is simply a set of filters and overlays, that can be tweaked slightly for colour saturation, contrast etc. It's so easy and, I think, very effective. There are, of course, many sources of textures and filters on the web, or you can create your own. You can buy beautiful collections for a full size computer or tablet from the same 'Distressed' source (here), but they're much more expensive than the more limited phone app.

The textures themselves are created by Cheryl Tarrant - see her Flickr site (here) or her website (here) for some of her own creative images.

7 comments:

  1. Lovely - it looks like a painting - I enjoy playing around with my photos too, especially turning them into a linocut print appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! It really looks like an old painting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I first thought it was a painting before I read your post ! what a nice result ! I am paralyzed with this cold weather impossible to go out it's always grey and snowing not ideal for photo hunting !

    ReplyDelete
  4. It gives your photo a very painterly effect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know a few purist photographers who get twitchy at the mention of 'effects'. Personally, I see the technology as a handy addition to the toolbox. I really like the way you've used the new app, and you're obviously having a lot of fun with it. More please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a very interesting post. You always amaze me. I agree with Jack. I thought it was a painting at first. I also love the original. Hard to make a shift in our normal blog routine. I thought I had a switch but today I don't have the energy to think it is worthwhile. Maybe when I am off the antibiotics. And when you have had more time to grieve for your Mom. Meanwhile, love this! Gin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice view, amazing capture with iphone, gives feels of traditional painting.

    iphone application development companies

    ReplyDelete