I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Thursday 5 August 2010

Three Men in a Boat

It seems to me that boating holidays have ample possibilities for fun, frolics and humorous mishaps. Two of my favourite books are based on just such scenarios. 'Three Men in a Boat', written by Jerome K Jerome and first published in 1889, is a classic comedy. More recently I have enjoyed 'Narrow Dog to Carcassone' by Terry Darlington (2006). I was rather reminded of these tales as I was walking home from work. I came across a narrowboat positioned horizontally across the Leeds-Liverpool Canal, apparently grounded on something and listing rather dangerously. The male occupant was trying frantically to push it away from the bank with a long pole, whilst shouting rather hysterically at the hapless lady at the tiller! Meanwhile, an ever-increasing queue of bemused boaters was lining up behind.

As predicted some time ago, from this week the Canal is shut along a large stretch through the Yorkshire/Lancashire border because of the low levels of water in the reservoirs that feed it. (This despite the fact that it has rained A LOT since early July). In consequence the holiday boats that usually potter along westwards from Skipton are now pottering eastwards - through Saltaire. In fact, I have never seen as many boats at one time on the local stretch of canal as there were yesterday - I counted 16! I look forward to many more amusing scenes to enliven my walks!

15 comments:

  1. Traveling on boats is supposed to be a quiet thing, but if the man was shouting on his wife, I guess she will have a different opinion!...:)
    Those boats seem like toys for grown-ups!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes the walk home interesting and what a lovely walk it must be. That would be us if we were trying long boating. But it sure would be fun. We booked once but had to cancel due to Bill's work commitments at the time pooh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Three Men in a Boat' is one of my favourite books of all time. On this occasion, you appear to have encountered one man in panic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If the other boaties had offered help it would have all been over in five minutes! Scary things boats, never happy in boats unless they are huge.Love canals though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would seem that it was the wrong type of rain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Men. Are they the same everywhere? (Just joking) That looks like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very different type of traffic jam!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those little canal boats really fascinate me. They are beautiful. I would love to take a vacation on one sometime, but I'd probably be the guy that got everything jammed up. Great shot Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I reread Three Men in a Boat most summers to enjoy a vicarious boating holiday with Harris, George, and Jay (to say nothing of the dog). Looking forward now to Narrow Dog--it's always nice to have word of a good book passed along. Thanks! Beautiful photo as always, though I'm glad not to be in the front boat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see I need to read THREE MEN IN A BOAT.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Man:"I'm not yelling, I just didn't think you could hear me."
    Woman: "You have to fall asleep sometime."
    Man:"What ?"
    Woman:" I said,You are really enjoying yourself, this time."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Three Men In A Boat is a classic of the comedy genre.

    I've taken one narrowboat holiday and enjoyed it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh neat! This looks like fun. The boats look rather big for the canal.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This one really tickled my funny bone! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  15. I missed this post because I was at New Wine. This is hilarious! (Sorry, no sympathy) Though I do hope he got it off the bank without overturning.

    ReplyDelete