Thursday, 13 March 2014

Dunham Massey


I visited friends over in Manchester at the weekend and we paid a brief visit to Dunham Massey, a National Trust property in Cheshire. I'd never heard of it before and I would have liked time to explore a bit more. It apparently has lovely gardens around the house itself but we only had time for a short walk in the grounds. It is a deer park, though I didn't see any. They were no doubt scared off by the many visitors who, like us, had been lured out by the promise of a bright spring day and were sadly disappointed by the heavy cloud cover. I did, however, note the very many old trees that had been damaged by the recent bad weather.

The house itself is a Georgian property and, whilst not especially beautiful from the outside, sounds interesting nevertheless. During the First World War it was a military hospital.  2014 is of course the centenary of the start of the War, so parts of the house have been recreated as a hospital to show people what it was like. Judging by the queues it is a very popular attraction, and I think there are many similar re-creations around the country. I must try and visit some during the year. Although we covered topics like the war poets at school, we didn't really get taught a lot about WWI and nothing about WWII. I think when I was a child it was just too much recent history.

2 comments:

  1. It is rather a dreary old place, isn't it? You gave it some kind of effect in the editing, which looks good.

    ReplyDelete

No WV here but I've enabled comment moderation on older posts so I don't miss any of your messages. I love reading them - thank you! And thanks for visiting my blog.