I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Saturday 1 March 2014

The Cutty Sark


Greenwich is also the home of the recently restored Cutty Sark, the last surviving tea clipper, one of fastest and greatest ships of her time. The ship has been displayed there in dry dock as a tourist attraction since the 1950s. In 2007 it was closed for conservation work to be carried out when fire broke out, destroying some of the timbers and necessitating a much more comprehensive restoration. The hull is now (controversially) supported by a steel frame and a glass apron provides room for a shop and café.

7 comments:

  1. I saw it :-)
    I saw it just before the fire who destroy it ... I am glad to see they were able to recover it again...
    have a good week end

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not like the steel frame itself, but I loved the fact that it allowed us to walk UNDER the boat! That's something impressive, beautiful, and Unusual!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This certainly is a golden oldie from the past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always tricky getting these shots without the tourists; I still have to get myself together to make a Greenwich trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to see it restored! What a beautiful ship!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sigh... I recently took another visit to the Cutty Sark to see the restorations and was not disappointed! A beautiful ship, so beautifully restored. I can't wait to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting information. Would I prefer that it be intact and floating on its own keel? Sure. But that is not a choice, it appears. So, what has been done seems like an intelligent alternative, and an interesting way to display it. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete