I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Saturday 5 April 2014

Arnside


Travel a mile or two north from Leighton Moss Reserve (see yesterday) and you reach Arnside, a quaint little village of slate-roofed stone and stucco houses, perched on the edge of the estuary of the River Kent at the corner of Morecambe Bay. Not much seems to happen there but that is part of its charm... a few little shops, a café and a pub or two and the vast expanse of the tidal estuary mudflats, with the promise of exciting birdlife for those prepared to watch and wait. Because of the topography of Morecambe Bay, Arnside has a fast-rising high tide, which can be very dangerous for the unwary. It also (oddly, for such a small place, I think) has a railway station, on the Lancaster to West Cumbria line that crosses the bay on a long, low viaduct just out of shot to the left of my photo. (Another line that was axed by Beeching in the 1960s and has since been reinstated.)  The area surrounding Arnside and Silverdale is designated an area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, well worth a visit.

5 comments:

  1. I think Arnside and Silverdale was on my list of places to visit one time, needless to say I never got there, but it looks as though I should have made the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love going to Silverdale and Arnside :) .

    ReplyDelete
  3. The idea that nothing happens there is a high compliment in my book.

    ReplyDelete