I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 30 April 2014

Halton Gill


This picture perhaps gives an idea of how remote some of the Dales communities are. This is the hamlet of Halton Gill, a tight little cluster of old stone buildings near the head of Littondale, facing out towards Fountains Fell and the peak of Pen-y-Ghent. I can find very little about it online, though it must have a fascinating history. I have no idea whether the hamlet grew up because of farming or because of some long-gone industry. It seems to have had its 15 minutes of fame in the Sainsbury's 2010 Christmas advert, filmed here! (Click here to see it.)

8 comments:

  1. Really wonderful vistas yesterday and today Jenny, looks so lovely but a little too remote for me :) Enjoyed the link, beautifully made advert.. Would have tempted me to go to Sainsbury :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Classic Dales views in your last couple of posts, Jenny, beautifully shot. I remember that advert - it was very good - though confess that I thought Jamie was making Christmas somewhere in Wales. What did Jonah do when he got swallowed? He started singing - well, everyone sings in Whales...sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could easily imagine Jane Eyre walking around here..
    The film makes me dream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'd have to hope that everyone in town got along with each other!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely picture of a hamlet. I don't think I've ever seen one that depicts what a hamlet is so effectively. I wouldn't mind trying to live there. I like the remoteness of it but as someone else pointed out, living in such close quarters really means you have to maintain good relationships with everyone else. But I'd like to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like a wonderful location for a murder mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Similar comment to yesterday . . . I marvel at the thought that people actually live in these remote places, and I wonder what their lives are like. (Thanks for the information about the cabin being a barn.) How beautiful! And what a charming commercial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe people think we're remote, only 20-25 mins away from a town. Living here is fantastic, we can go weeks without seeing each other, yet we're always there for each other when needed.

    ReplyDelete