I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Sunday 27 April 2014

Primrose


Littondale's thin limestone soils provide an increasingly rare and valuable habitat, supporting a variety of unusual plants. Skoska Wood is a National Nature Reserve between the villages of Arncliffe and Litton, a strip of ash woodland and herb-rich pasture.  To be honest, I don't know that much about wild plants and, generally speaking, I wouldn't recognise a rare plant if I saw one. Though they are not uncommon, I was thrilled to see banks of wild primroses (Primula Vulgaris), which are such a pretty, delicate, pale yellow. I didn't know, either, that there are two types of primrose flowers - pin flowers (shown) and thrum flowers, which have a sort of little coronet in the centre. Fertilisation can only occur between the two types (thanks Wikipedia!). You learn something every day.

3 comments:

  1. I love primroses too! they are so dainty and delicate...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful picture ! and the other once in your last posts too !

    ReplyDelete