I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Saturday 15 November 2014

Dark satanic mills?


Another iPhone shot, of THAT view (click label below for others), taken on my way home from work. I took the photo because I loved the sky and the reflected lights but in the finished image I like the graininess that the iPhone has rendered. It adds extra moodiness.

And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green?
And was the holy lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?

And did the Countenance Divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here,
Among these dark satanic mills?

'Jerusalem' (words from a poem by William Blake, set to music by Sir Hubert Parry) has become a British anthem and one of the best loved of patriotic songs, played notably on the Last Night of the Proms.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny - lovely photo and accompanying hymn ... or anthem ... our school song. Brooding words ... and I've always loved William Blake ... the perfect image for his poem and Hubert Parry's music ...

    Wonderful - thank you - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kind of gothic ! :o)
    But I like it !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somewhat reminiscent of Bill Brandt's famous picture of Halifax which, if you don't know it, you can view here:
    http://shadowoflight.bigcartel.com/product/halifax-1937

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see what you mean.... doubt I could get £2000 for a print of it though, however much I like it.

      Delete
  4. It is a fine atmospheric image. I can smell the coal burning and hear the horse drawn carriages clop clop clopping on the cobblestones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an atmosphere ! I am just looking if Jack the Rippper is not turning around the corner !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agree with all above Jenny, incredible image!

    ReplyDelete