I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Saturday 10 September 2016

Heathcote


Heathcote, in Ilkley, is a large, Grade I listed, neoclassical villa situated just below Hebers Ghyll on the road into town. This is a prime residential area with some lovely homes but this house must be the biggest and best of them all. Built in 1906-08, it was commissioned by John Thomas Hemingway, a wealthy Bradford wool merchant. It was designed by the famous Arts and Crafts architect Sir Edwin Lutyens. No expense was spared, inside or out. There is a stunning black marble staircase and the gardens were planted by Gertrude Jekyll. Lutyens is said to have remarked: 'This house was for a very rich man who could not spend money, until he met me'. It was a private house until 1958 and then became a corporate headquarters. Recently back on the market, the guide price is/was reduced from £2.9 to around £2 million.

6 comments:

  1. A majestic home for someone rich with servants to clean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like a very reasonable price!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, jennyfreckles. As you know, I have been away for a while, so I just browsed through the last three weeks of your posts and photos. Some very fine photos (one contrasting old and new, and another with a tree showing its roots), some fine places you have visited (the Chatsworth inside photos shame my own recent efforts). But, bikers? You seem like the least biker girl I now. I must reassess.

    ReplyDelete