I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Friday 10 June 2011

Swan


I'm still trying to take a picture of a swan that I consider successful.  They won't 'pose' for me at all!  I thought this was really unusual though.  Taken on the Leeds-Liverpool Canal alongside the industrial units at the back of Salts Mill in Saltaire, the foliage and lines of the buildings make this very jazzy reflection.

It is one of last year's cygnets - its brown feathers have almost disappeared.  Two of the 2010 brood of seven or eight survived to adulthood and are still hanging around Saltaire.  I am happy to report that I saw its parents with two 2011 babies the other day.  This year, the Canada geese have reared seven goslings to quite a respectable size, which seems a considerable achievement.  There are so many hazards and predators, not least the sizeable local cat population.

I'm entering Weekend Reflections again this week - click the link to see the other entries, hosted by James at Newtown Area Photo.
I've also started to put some more photos of my recent Lake District holiday on my other blog.

29 comments:

  1. The first shot is absolutelly amazing! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great first photograph. Talk about the truth being stranger than fiction. Try getting that effect in Photoshop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny! I trust all is well your side and that things have settled back into a comfortable pace after all the excitement of the exhibition :) I have been AWOL for a while, but I'm back slowly picking up from where I left off ;)

    The first picture is absolutely superb! I love the ripples and intricate patterns of merging colour. It reminds me of those kaleidoscopes we used to have as children! The effect you have captured here is truly astounding! Well done on 'hitting the jackpot!'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Animals and children; always a problem. Great reflections though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the distorsions of the water, while the swan appears still and neat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the swirling reflections- so very different! We only have the black swans here in Adelaide so it is lovely to see your gorgeous white swan - very regal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Astounding swan photo! Congratulations! A prize-winner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I think that photo is wonderful! How come they won't pose for you? haha. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also love the distortions on the water, this is a brilliant shot, congratulations!
    Léia - Bonjour Luxembourg

    ReplyDelete
  10. That shot is wonderful, so graphic! Lovely:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The swan may not pose, but you got an incredible reflection shot! Really superb! Have a great weekend!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  12. That first photo is stunning with those reflections!! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is quite an stunning shot in fact... Those reflections looks so strange, so unreal... Well done, Jenny !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that first shot, very unique.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow!!!! the patterns of reflection in that first photo are incredible...so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous swan shot! Love all the distorted ripples.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that reflection. The textures are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Greetings From Southern California

    I am your newest follower. I invite you to visit my blog and follow back if you want too.

    Have a Nice Day :-)

    BTW, your swan photo looks great! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. that non posing swan swam into a fun reflection. makes me think of those carnival mirrors.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an amazing shot! It makes me want to say the word "groovy" when I look at it. Ha! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your first shot is outstanding, Jenny. Just look at those ripples.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing! I'd settle for this shot any day! I love the ripples, the reflections, everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE this shot....the abstractness in the reflections and water movment...ooh, la, la. Very well done. Maybe the swan is posing and you just have in your head something different. Who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful and very creative!
    Happy weekend reflections!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great reflection shot--almost hypnotic! Great and creative capture. Have a lovely Sunday. Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! That IS a great reflection shot. Nice job noticing (and capturing) that.

    ReplyDelete
  27. A wonderful Op-Art swan shot! Well done!

    ReplyDelete