I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 29 May 2012

Through the woods


My favourite walk goes from Saltaire out towards Bingley along the Leeds-Liverpool Canal towpath.  This stretch of the canal, just beyond Hirst Lock, passes through the ancient woodland of Hirst Wood.  It can often be quite dark here, because the trees block the light and keep the path in deep shadow.  This particular morning though, with the sun still in the east and few leaves yet on the trees, there was a rare brightness and sparkle to the scene.  You can't really see it from my photo but the woodland is carpeted with a haze of bluebells too - very pretty.
 ____

I've posted some more photos of the Haworth 1940s weekend on my other blog, 'Seeking the Quiet Eye' (two posts: here and here) - showing many more of the wonderful costumes and uniforms people were wearing.

10 comments:

  1. Looks a lovely place for a walk, you can't beat a good woodland stroll at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautyful and peaceful place! No wonder you like to stroll there..

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautifully composed shot. Love the reflections too. It just invites one to walk along the path. (I arrived home this week I have a lot of blogging to catch up with.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a magical shot...now that you have pointed out I can 'just' see a slight haze of those bluebells you mentioned, ah! heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reflection on water is one of the most beautiful things!

    And I'm glad you mentioned the bluebells..I think I would have missed them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the walk we did when we visited Saltaire back in February for my birthday, it's so beautiful.
    I check in to your blog every morning before work, it cheers me up for the day.
    Thank you for sharing
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful - I would love to go along that canal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a wonderful place to walk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd sure like to take this walk on a day just as you've captured it here, jennyfreckles!

    ReplyDelete