I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 31 January 2017

Damart


At this time of year, hereabouts, you might be told to "Get tha Damart on" if it gets particularly chilly. Damart is a brand of thermal underwear, made from Thermolactyl, a unique patented man-made fibre. The Damartex brand is French but for many years the UK head-office has been here in Bingley, at Bowling Green Mills, beside the canal. The company have a large mail-order business, mainly selling classic clothing, underwear and homeware. I do have some Damart thermal wear, dating back to when I had a season ticket for the local football team, Bradford City. Thick, fluffy thermals were very necessary on the stadium terraces in winter and I can testify to their cosiness. Of late, I have favoured merino wool baselayers, finding them more comfortable and breathable for active walking, which is my favourite winter pursuit these days.

4 comments:

  1. I doubt they sell them here, though there are counterparts. I like this view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've yet to get out the thermals this year. It hasn't been cold enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recall that CF Taylor on Otley Road, Lower Baildon used to spin and weave wonderful mohair.
    Their foreign correspondence in several European languages was dealt with by my aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems odd to see the modern Damart sign on the traditional old building. And I didn't expect an exposé about your undergarments! My mind is now running away with such scandalous thoughts!

    ReplyDelete