I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 10 July 2012

Melin Tregwynt



Melin Tregwynt is a small woollen mill on the Pembrokeshire coast near Fishguard.  The mill, dating back to the 17th century, has belonged to the Griffiths family since 1912 and they produce beautiful wool blankets and other items, which sell throughout the world.  It's only a small concern, employing about 20 people but their products are found in some of the best trendy hotels and are often featured in the top-end interiors magazines.  (There's an interesting article online, here.)

We decided it was a good place to visit on a very dull and rainy day, and found the mill and shop very interesting (though the gorgeous throws and blankets were too expensive for me to justify buying).  I loved all the colours and names of the yarns.  There was a nice café too.  My daughter and I shared a fresh crab salad, delicious - and my granddaughter was content to suck a piece of bread! We also walked down to the nearby beach, which is stony rather than sand. It was very windy on that day, but wild and beautiful.


6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous colours. So it was raining..in Wales?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the building itself, so pretty with those blue and white paintings!and the wool seems so sweet and beautiful! A kind of place I really would like to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh the weather doesn't sound good but the pics are great. They sure do have some funny names in Wales.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good place to visit on any kind of day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's heartwarming to know that a small specialty manufacturer can survive and thrive for more than 300 years. And to be a tourist attraction, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have loved this place....I just love looking at the supplies. I guess the retired art teacher in me will always think, "What could I do with that?"

    ReplyDelete