I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Thursday 20 September 2012

Broken hearts


The final weekend of the Saltaire Festival always has so much going on that it's hard to cover all of it.  In particular there's lots of music - in the Piazza (aka the Caroline Street carpark!), in the bandstand in the park, choirs in the church and around the village, and impromptu concerts wherever people can park a drum kit.  I came across The Broken Hearts Club Band playing a set down by the canal bridge (and they were also scheduled to play on the Piazza stage on Sunday).

The band is made up of Mark Yates on double bass, Craig Bussey on drums & vocals, Alice Gilmour playing violin, and Jez Barraclough, guitar & vocals. They write all their own material with a 'skiffletastic, folk, country feel' and have recently recorded their debut album "ElectricPictureShop" available on CD.  If that title rings a bell, look here....  It's not much good asking me (since I'm pretty deaf) whether the music was any good, but even I found I wanted to jig about a bit - music to dance to! There are (of course) videos on Youtube - see this.

6 comments:

  1. I don't know about you, but whilst I might not catch the words or the tune, the rhythm always seems to get through. Even when I was totally deaf, I would realise that my feet were tapping in rhythm with the bass and drums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, same for me. It can be quite surreal just hearing the bass line.

      Delete
  2. Knoxville is a haven for bands such as this. And the open guitar case always generates enough for a few beers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the kind of music I like. I would toss a couple of bills in the guitar case if I were there.

    You sure get around a lot. The hearing loss doesn't seem to slow you down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the way to go. More power to The Broken Hearts Club Band!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tap tap tap to the music. They look a fun gig.

    ReplyDelete