I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 30 April 2013

Church and pub


Church and pub, two traditional cornerstones of English society. Early spring sunshine always brings out the crowds, though I did think people were a little optimistic to be sitting drinking outside the pub. The wind was decidedly chilly. As my daughter observed, at this time of year there are only two sorts of people... those who are over-dressed and those who are under-dressed for the temperatures. This is a different view of Skipton's Holy Trinity Church, which I have have shown before on this blog. It stands in a prominent position at the top of the main street and beside Skipton Castle.

5 comments:

  1. Made me think - are those folk that sport daft shorts and skimpy tops whatever the weather just more recent versions of those that used to sit in deckchairs along the promenade with gritted teeth and a thermos? So - I really AM getting old!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's often the same here in Virginia at this time of year, sleeveless t shirts or sweaters..... you see people wearing either depending on their eagerness to embrace the new season, or their tolerance for the breezy Spring weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful blue sky and sunshine, but the trees are straight from winter. We've been out for a couple of walks today, and this afternoon the green leaves are visible...at last!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love English churches! So beautiful...I think if I lived in England, I'd become a churchgoer.

    ReplyDelete