I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Monday 11 November 2013

The chapel at Scargill House


I had another holiday! I spent a few days up in the Yorkshire Dales (Upper Wharfedale, to be precise) at Scargill House near Kettlewell. Scargill is a Christian holiday and retreat centre, home to a resident community of some thirty people from all over the world, who welcome all to enjoy a few days being well-cared for in a spectacular environment. The programme I went on was a photography holiday (what else!) so I spent time with a lovely group of like-minded folk, exploring some of the wonderful local beauty spots and being patiently coached where coaching was needed. I think I have finally got to grips with using a tripod, which had always frustrated me before. I'm not saying I will always lug one around with me; I like to travel light on my walks - but at least I now feel I can make proper use of one when I need to.

My photo shows the chapel at Scargill, recently short-listed in the top ten in a competition to find the best churches built in the last 60 years. Built in 1960 and designed by George Pace, the chapel has a soaring A-frame roof in a Scandinavian style. Through the huge, clear glass, gable windows you can see the lovely Yorkshire scenery outside, making it an especially uplifting place to worship the Creator God.

5 comments:

  1. It seems to suit its setting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RedPat said exactly what I was thinking. And, your composition is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonder place for a photography retreat! I will look forward to seeing your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful area for taking photos. Ever tried a monopod - less to lug around and I seem to get away with using it in National Trust properties that have No Tripods signs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great architecture AND great composition/light in your photograph.

    ReplyDelete