I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Friday 12 November 2010

Green door


From a blue door in Derbyshire to a green door in Saltaire.  Very carefully painted, but perhaps a touch too complicated a treatment for my taste.  Nevertheless, the front door and its stone surround are typical of the oldest houses in Saltaire, this one on William Henry Street, built in 1854.  The street is named after William Henry Salt (1831 -1893) who was Sir Titus Salt's first son.  He worked with his father in the family business at the Mill but retired in his early 40s to Leicestershire, presumably to a life of a leisured country gentleman.  On his father's death he became the second baronet, Sir William Henry Salt.

As a complete non-sequiteur, I was astonished to hear my own dear mother say at the weekend that she 'doesn't like' windows and doors with rounded tops!  How can you 'not like' something like that?  And how can my own mother not like them, when I love them!  Funny how you never really know someone completely, even when you've grown up with them.

11 comments:

  1. I assume there are no planning restrictions on the colour of doors in Saltaire? I think there are in Bournville (The Cadbury equivalent of Saltaire). There are all kinds of restrictions there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From a door, you arrive to family psychology! :))
    A french writer said that "every human is an island"..

    I'm not from your family, but i love this kind of doors! I guess they are colorful, because people wanted to give some joy to the grey and severe stones..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit to having a sneaking sympathy for your mothers' views. Although the picture is, of course, impeccable, there is something about the proportions of this door that sets my teeth on edge. It's too tall, too narrow, to glassy and ever so slightly coffin-shaped

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I know what you mean about it being a little fussy, but the whole thing is very pretty, and much smarter than our round-top front which is badly in need of decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very romantic shot. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love rounded tops to doors and window! Perhaps I'd have gone with solid green however or two shades of green without the white. But it's nice and bright in any event!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like it, beutifully composed door and photograph. Is it skinny or is that just me?

    ReplyDelete
  8. AJ - yes, there are stringent planning restrictions in Saltaire too. Maybe they don't stipulate doors should be all one colour though.
    T Becque - it does look skinny doesn't it? Perhaps the paint treatment creates an optical illusion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't see the other buildings around this one to judge, but just looking at this one door, I like the brightness of the green and I think the rounded top is fine . . . it must let lots of light inside, and after all, that is its purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The stone, the roses and the reflection of the sky in the glass above the door are such lovely elements! I vote for a solid color on the door though, just in case we're voting. ~Lili

    ReplyDelete