I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 27 July 2011

Herding geese


You've heard, I'm sure, the idiomatic saying about herding cats... well, here at Bingley Show there were dogs herding geese - and it looked about as difficult as herding cats would be.  It made everyone laugh!

I do love border collies though.  They are the traditional British 'sheepdog', highly intelligent and athletic and, I think, very attractive dogs.  One of my friends once told me she thought if I was a dog I'd be a border collie, as she said they often have one ear cocked.... and, being very hard of hearing, I often tilt my head to one side trying to hear better!  So I think that was her reasoning, rather than the fact that I'm intelligent, athletic (not!), attractive and good at herding cats...!

13 comments:

  1. One day you'll have to show us how you herd cats! :o))
    You had a great time with that event, cows yesterday, geese today..I like such shows !

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother has one of those dogs, such a nice character. Bit like trying to get my wife and daughter ready to go out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure which I think funnier: the border collies herding geese or a group of adults standing around watching it! LOL! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is not the ear cocking that I do, but having only one functioning artificial ear I have difficulty telling where sound is coming from. The only way to tell is to rotate continuously until I locate a stronger signal from the sound source - but I suspect it reminds others of a dog chasing its tail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photo.Let you into a secret..herding geese is very easy with a tiny bit of practise and learning to go at the right pace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We once had a border collie that actually DID herd cats. We had two cats and he would round them up and bring them into the house. He was a great dog; a descendent of Wiston Cap. Jim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even good for herding Ostriches! ( Wikipedia )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could watch Border Collies all day long!! They are so smart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That border collie is in his/her element!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is wonderful, jennyfreckles. I have a question: WHY herd geese?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good question Jack! I guess it's easier in a show ring than lots of sheep - and different too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful picture! Border Collies are so intense! (We have one but he just herds my husband.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute photo, I can imagine hearing all the laughter too! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete