I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Saturday 2 March 2019

An early spring


I can't remember a year where we've had such a mild and sunny February. It has brought out the spring flowers very early, producing unusual combinations instead of the usual sequencing of snowdrops, followed by crocus, followed by daffodils. My little narcissus have already popped up in the tubs outside the front door. On a street nearby, admittedly in quite a sheltered spot, there is a camellia in full bloom, with snowdrops at its base. All rather pretty... but if we get sharp frosts in March (as we surely will) then all the magnolia buds and the camellias will get scorched and ruined. I passed a magnolia tree whose buds had already burst their sheaths. I felt like shouting at it: 'Stop! Go back, go back!'

I've been out and about a lot, making the most of the lovely weather. Usually I'm struggling to find enough photos to keep my blog going at this time of year. This year, I've more pictures than I can find time and space to show.



8 comments:

  1. Lovely Jenny - weather has been absolutely glorious for February ... now not so much. Wonderful photos - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Early daffodils seem to be a fairly regular feature down here. I notice it because a nearby village has a Daffodil Weekend and most years there seems to be a panic - "Will the daffodils be all over by then?" It's never happened yet, though last year the daffs were covered in snow come the great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Early Spring!
    I wish some spring would show up here in Vermont.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have had a very cold and very snowy February. I envy your flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my! That camellia! Our flowers are popping but they will likely get frozen when the temps drops next week. Crazy, dangerous weather, thanks to climate change.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spring is coming.
    Wonderful flowers
    All the best
    Maria
    Divagar Sobre Tudo um Pouco

    ReplyDelete