Friday, 14 August 2009

Washing lines


Presumably because Titus Salt wanted Saltaire look smart, attractive and orderly - he had, after all spent a fortune on his vision for a 'model' township - there were various rules of conduct for the tenants. As I said yesterday, he provided his villagers with state-of-the-(Victorian)-art Baths and a Wash-house in the centre of the village. Because of this, he tried to dissuade the villagers from hanging washing across the streets and yards. Whether he was successful or not I don't know, but there is no such rule nowadays. I actually think the lines of washing can look quite attractive...rather like bunting, bringing a touch of colour and movement to the essentially monochrome pattern and straight lines of the houses and streets.


No comments:

Post a Comment

No WV here but I've enabled comment moderation on older posts so I don't miss any of your messages. I love reading them - thank you! And thanks for visiting my blog.