I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Sunday 19 December 2010

My world


This was what we woke up to on Saturday morning.....more of the cold white stuff.  It's not as bad here (so far!) as in other parts of the country (and other parts of the world for that matter) but, given that lots of people are hoping to get away for Christmas, it's not very welcome.  The last lot had only just melted too.  My daughter is up from London for the weekend, and was hoping to go and see her grandfather in County Durham.  The same planned Christmas visit was cancelled last year because of the snow - and it very much looks (at the time of writing) that this year's will go the same way. Families all over the country will be similarly affected - but unless you really have to travel it's simply not fair, on the emergency services and those whose journeys are imperative, to clog the roads up unnecessarily.  My photo shows the main road through Saltaire - what was the old turnpike route from Leeds.  It's well gritted and traffic was flowing freely but the side roads are nasty and the pavements soon get packed down and icy.  Brr.  I'm curling up with the newspaper and a hot drink!

16 comments:

  1. It works so well in back and white - and it even reminds me of winters like they used to be before we al got soft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got the Sunday Times and Sunday Telegraph; Susi and I have already pulled up the drawbridge, staying warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you've had slightly more than us. We only really have a dusting so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is beautiful when its not causing problems.
    Costas

    ReplyDelete
  5. B & W certainly gives a photo a more dramatical look - well done.
    It has stopped snowing here but is probably still about 3inches deep and the roads are just slippery.
    I love the name of your other blog 'seeking the quiet eye' how did you come up with that title?
    Have you tried the 3 minute retreat on my blog? under my advent wreath - came across it the other day and it is quiet relaxing with some challenging thoughts..
    take care, Judyx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snowing here too, and ours never went away in between so we just keep getting deeper and deeper into it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely picture but I'm glad I don't have to go out in it. We have pouring rain but it isn't cold.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is getting worse every year now suddenly. We didn't have so much snow as the UK, but this weekend we got our part of it, 10-15 cm and the whole country came to a standstill. No planes,trains, busses or cars could be used. And this is just the beginning I am afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw northern England on TV and it's even worth than that. I guess it must be so frustrating not to have family around. But it's better to be careful in such cases..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ive been out taking black & white photos today too - the day just seemed to lend itself to it! I LOVE your previous 2 posts with the lights. Lovely. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. A good time to stay home and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely b&w image of a winter wonderland you'd rather only see in pictures... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brrr. The view is much the same over here. Good idea to curl up on the sofa with a newspaper and a hot drink. I've slightly adapted it and am curling up with my laptop, a dog and a glass of port whine as we 'speak'. This is what we get for years of singing 'I'm dreaming of a white Christmas'.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for sharing that beautiful photo. It just brings me so many good memories.
    Great B&W!

    B xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. It all looks so beautiful...from AFAR!

    We've been having some very hot, humid weather in our neck of the woods, so a little of that precipitation would be very welcome right now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like how you describe the road as being well gritted, I think I'll use that expression around here and see if it catches on! Safe travels to you. ~Lili

    ReplyDelete