I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Friday 17 August 2018

Devon: Oare church


In the novel 'Lorna Doone' by R D Blackmore, Oare church was where Lorna was shot by her half-brother, Carver Doone, as she was about to marry John Ridd. It seems the book has a sad end, but then it becomes clear that she was not killed, only wounded. Phew. 

In real life the church, St Mary's, is nestled in its graveyard in the valley, in a pretty setting. It's light inside, with some impressive box pews, some painted plaques listing the Ten Commandments in that quaint old script where 's' sometimes becomes 'f' and a memorial to the writer R D Blackmore, whose grandfather (?) was the rector here. 


I won't tell you how long I had to wait before the church was empty of my fellow photographers and their tripods and I could take an uncluttered interior shot! That's the only downside of going out in a group. 




5 comments:

  1. Lovely photos of the old church, I've always loved the brief view you get of it from the road - probably best not to look for it when driving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos. I'm impressed by the church's clean lines, light, and lack of color variety except for the lovely stain glass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely sanctuary! It feels quite light inside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty little church!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the last shot. That old script is difficult to read but I worked it out.

    ReplyDelete