I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 28 August 2018

Edward Street Bakery


As a young teenager, I had some memorable holidays in France, staying with my mother's penfriend in a little village in Brittany. One of my fondest abiding memories of those times was being sent out early in the morning to the village bakery, to buy fresh bread for breakfast. It was a chance to practise my halting French, which was always graciously received and responded to, and then I got to carry the fragrant, crisp, freshly baked baguettes back. Served with farmhouse butter and home-made jam, there was little better in my (then rather sheltered) culinary experience.

Fast forward a few decades (!) and you could do the same in Saltaire, at least at weekends. Edward Street Bakery, started by Jeremy Belsten and Lisa Fraser, began in the kitchen of a tiny house on Edward Street (you guessed!) and used to open as a pop-up stall in their yard, advertised by Twitter and Facebook announcements. They quickly established a name for themselves and gathered a faithful clientele, who enjoy the innovative craft breads, pies and pastries they produce. A few years down the line and they have started opening in larger premises at 1 Myrtle Place, in what was at one time a doctor's surgery and then for many years a bookshop. They are also to be found 'popping up' at various events around the area. [Open Fri lunch 10-2, Sat and Sun from 10am until they run out of bread]

Sadly for me, I've had to follow a gluten-free diet for many years and so I can't try their products. They don't have a gluten-free line. Otherwise, I'd be in that queue in the mornings!

3 comments:

  1. Some of our farmers market vendors are bakery outlets, and I know at least one of them takes gluten into account in their goods.

    ReplyDelete