I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Saturday 17 November 2018

ICM in the woods


Just lately, I've been intentionally practising with the manual controls on my camera, trying to improve my technical skills. I usually use Aperture priority mode and I've rarely gone fully manual. So I've been experimenting with setting shutter speed, aperture, ISO and manual focus... with varying degrees of success, it has to be said. I'm happy enough using the 'modes' but I decided I wanted to be more comfortable with all the controls.

One day I got bored with taking 'proper' photos and decided to try some ICM (Intentional Camera Movement). I've had some fun with this technique with a slow shutter app on my phone but I have found that it often doesn't work in my DSLR camera without a filter, as it needs a slow shutter speed. It was, however, a relatively dull day so I set a low ISO (100), a slow shutter speed (1/1.3), a narrow aperture (f 25), defocussed the lens and slowly moved the camera. I got a couple of images of trees that I thought were quite pleasing in colour and texture (even if not very original).


5 comments:

  1. Those are very lovely. And inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The results feel very much like an Impressionist painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love both images but the first one is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's something that i need to do with my canon.

    ReplyDelete