There is another series of locks on this part of the canal along with some canal basins which allow boats to turn and moor. It's called Bank Newton. At one time there was a canal carpenter's yard and workshops here. The old buildings have been converted into residential property, rather nice.
Just beyond Bank Newton, our path diverged from the canal for a while. The canal takes a series of bends following the contours of the land and our footpath took a more direct route. We passed a grand Georgian farmhouse, known as Newton Grange, which was built in 1800 for Richard Greenwood, 'a gentleman'. It now operates as a wedding venue, with surrounding buildings (some older than the main house) converted into luxurious holiday lets.
It's a pretty area, with hedgerows full of flowers like this wild rose below
and some curious sheep...