I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 13 February 2019

Enjoying the small things


One of the best things about getting older is that I seem to have learned to 'live in the moment' more fully and to appreciate and be grateful for all the ordinary small things that make up a day. There are many: the freedom to take a mug of tea back to bed some mornings, savouring it at leisure; being able to make the most of the sunny days, to get out for a local walk or an adventure further afield (how I longed to do that when I was walking to work each day!); a milky morning coffee and a quick look at 'the newspapers', albeit read on my iPad these days. So many small pleasures to enjoy...

I had my eldest granddaughter 'sleeping over' last weekend. She is seven and is really good company. I like, as far as possible, to let her set the agenda, and she is usually happy to do quite ordinary things. A visit to the craft shop for the purchase of some new stickers is often top of her wish list. Then she will spend ages carefully drawing a scene incorporating the stickers; we had mermaids in the sea this time. She helped me chop and cook, and enjoyed playing with the toys I keep here, just a bit different from the things at home (and most passed on to me by a friend whose grandchildren have outgrown them, such good recycling!) Just before we were leaving to deliver her back home, she said to me: "Gran, your whole house smells like your hugs, all warm." I thought that one of the nicest compliments I have ever had, as well as a sign that she too is able to appreciate the small things that give life meaning. 

Even though she is no trouble at all, attending to her minute by minute leaves me astonishingly tired. I can take a good 24 hours to gather my energy again! I did, however, take advantage of the sunshine the next day to have a short walk and was pleased to see the first crocuses, as well as the snowdrops that are now in full bloom. The yellow crocuses often get pecked by birds (though they don't seem to go for the purple ones so much) so it's best to appreciate them whilst you can. 

7 comments:

  1. I've been getting out for a walk every day and, though I haven't spotted many yellow crocuses, what a wonderful year it's been for snowdrops. Time for my next cup of tea....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny - I've seen some crocuses ... they always delight and that colour yellow is so gorgeous. Wonderful you've had your eldest granddaughter to stay ... and I bet she enjoys setting the agenda and just 'being' ... kids love that time. What a quite spontaneous and happy compliments for her to give you ... I can feel the hugs from here and see the happy faces ... and yes I can understand the tiredness ... lovely post - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely post all round, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tea is important to the Friesians on the North German coast. I buy their product regularly. When a tea blender there was asked why he doesn't change the same familiar Assam blend he sighed and said, "We have tried new blends, and nearly went out of business! Our lot want NO CHANGES!! " This made me laugh. Reminded me of guess who........

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty!

    Crocuses won't be in place here until April.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely post, and a delight to see the yellow crocus.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete