I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Sunday 3 February 2019

The Big Issue seller


The centre of Haworth village is, I suppose, the area just below the parish church, where a junction of cobbled lanes opens into what might loosely be called 'a square', although it isn't square and is barely big enough to justify the term. There is a pub at either end, a telephone box and a building that held the tourist information office until it was closed (more budget cuts!). It was here that the Big Issue North seller was sitting, even though there were very few people about. She looked so very cold. I didn't buy a magazine as I didn't want to have to carry it about, but I did give her a donation.

The Big Issue magazine was launched in London in 1991 as a way to help people struggling to earn legitimate income. Big Issue North developed from that and is now a separate entity. Sellers buy the magazine for £1.25 and sell it for £2.50, keeping the profit. They come from a variety of backgrounds but all face the problems of poverty and inequality (though they are not all rough sleepers). Many sellers locally are women and often appear to be of an Eastern European background. The Big Issue charities work to highlight the issues of poverty and rough sleeping, and attempt to alleviate some of the pressures for individuals.

6 comments:

  1. We have a similar system here in North Germany. The magazine is called "Tarmac". Unfortunately the well-intentioned idea has been abused. A young Rumanian women who sat regularly by the "REWE" Supermarket entrance had a husband working on a building site for EUR 1700 per month and and rented a nice heated flat for EUR 700 / month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny - we have them here in Eastbourne ... one in particular. I must do what you've been doing ... as I too don't want to carry the magazine around ... but I'm not sure I've been asked to pay for them. I must check next time I see her in the town ... thanks for letting us know about the background - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. The magazine selling is a wonderful thing to do for folks. I will look into whether or not there is something similar in Burlington, VT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of a similar concept here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a newspaper here that works on the same principle and really helps people out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh that poor woman having to be out in the cold, I hope she was well wrapped up.

    ReplyDelete