I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Thursday 21 February 2019

Fewston Reservoir


Fewston Reservoir looked stunning in the sunshine. I had a very pleasant walk round the perimeter path, which is wide, smooth and largely flat. It's about a four mile circuit and then I went in search of the snowdrops in the woods, so I walked about six miles altogether, very satisfying. The reservoir is a popular attraction for runners, dog walkers and those of us oldies wanting an easy constitutional. I passed a lot of people on the way round, some twice - haha! Most were friendly and said a cheery hello. Many of the dogs were friendly too, one so much so that it jumped up with its muddy paws on my coat. That does annoy me, that people can't control their animals. (Reservoir dogs - yikes!)

The reservoir, built in 1879, is one of four in the Washburn Valley. It was good to see it more or less full, though Lindley Wood, further down the valley, looked a bit low. I don't know whether the water stocks have been replenished this winter or not. We've not had much snow and I'd say the rainfall has been somewhat less than usual. After the dry summer we had last year, there is always the possibility of water shortages if we have similar weather this year.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely photo, and place to get outdoors. It is important that a community has open space like that for recreation, within distance of town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely pic with a great reflection, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the UK we seem to have a regular acute shortage of water, or way too much! I assume the excellent "forest of the North" intended to sop up all the excess runoff water has, again, been quietly forgotten.

    ReplyDelete