I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Monday 8 July 2019

Burton Agnes Hall


Burton Agnes Hall was another place I chose to stop and explore on my way to the East Coast. Built between 1598 and 1610 by Sir Henry Griffith, this Elizabethan manor house has belonged to the same family line for over 400 years. It was designed by the Master Mason to Elizabeth I, Robert Smythson, who also built Longleat and Hardwick Hall. The present generation of the family, the Cunliffe-Listers, still live there, at least some of the time. I like country houses that are still lived in. They have a different feel, warm and welcoming, often full of family treasures. Simon Cunliffe-Lister is a keen saxophonist and hosts an annual jazz festival in the grounds. The family have also continued to collect contemporary art to add to the house's collections.



5 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever heard of the place - how wonderful that there are always new places to discover and explore. Jazz has come a long way from the bars and brothels of New Orleans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gardens really add to the place. Love those trees!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful...as so many estates are, if kept up and added to through thte years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The topiary is a work of art!

    ReplyDelete