I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Monday 29 July 2019

In a summer meadow


So, I'm not that good at identifying wild flowers but here are a few that I noticed:

Ox-eye daisies (possibly my favourite, so simple and innocent looking) are the most obvious and brightest, holding their heads high above the others. In the picture above there are also buttercups, red clover, yellow rattle and some tiny white flowers that I think may be eyebright.


Here's a common spotted orchid. There may be more orchids, perhaps rarer ones, hidden among the grasses but we were obliged to keep to the paved footpath through the middle of the meadow, so we could only see what was immediately on either side of the path. I can understand that they don't want everyone tramping the flowers down! The flower that I think is eyebright is in the front of this photo too.






Left is yellow rattle and to the right, I think, the cuckoo flower or lady's smock.









Then there is water avens (right) and the pretty blue flower is germander speedwell, guaranteed to cheer the weary traveller along the way.


















A feather caught in the grass drew my eye - as did the light catching the tiny red flowers, which I think are common sorrel, a herb.


and finally, another common but pretty wild flower - herb robert, a type of geranium. It does smell really herby when you crush its leaves. 

There... I didn't do too badly, did I? (Thanks Google!) 

6 comments:

  1. You did really well. I thought you must have had a guide with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely wildflowers, and I appreciate your work naming them for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You seem pretty good at identifying those flowers anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful! And what an evocative word 'meadow' is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice with all the Summer flowers.

    ReplyDelete