I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Saturday 6 July 2019

Garton on the Wolds church


I was on my way to the East Coast last month (more of that later) and, on a friend's recommendation, I stopped off to visit the ancient church at Garton on the Wolds. The Church of St Michael and All Angels, to give it its full title, was originally built in medieval times about 1132, for the prior of Kirkham Abbey (which I visited in 2017, see HERE). By the early 19th century it was very dilapidated and was extensively rebuilt and restored in the second half of the 19th century. However, its real treasures are inside. Come back tomorrow!

Mooching around the large graveyard, I came across a pretty little angel on one of the headstones.

8 comments:

  1. Come back tomorrow? How can you be so heartless?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am entranced by the church and b the name Garton on the Wolds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely entrances...first the gate, then the very impressive doorway into the sanctuary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks wonderful! What a pretty angel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so not fair about coming back tomorrow lol - looking forward to the next installment

    ReplyDelete
  6. Four pretty and interesting insights about this church.

    ReplyDelete