I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Sunday 7 July 2019

Wall paintings


It's the inside of St Michael and All Angels church, Garton on the Wolds, that is really mind-blowing. During the extensive Victorian restoration, commissioned by Sir Tatton Sykes of nearby Sledmere House, the entire interior was covered in wall paintings in 1865. They were designed by G. E. Street and executed by the firm of Clayton and Bell, who made stained glass. In the Pre-Raphaelite style, they depict scenes from the Bible. In the nave, many Old Testament stories are illustrated, including the Creation, Adam and Eve. There have been suggestions that this was intended to rebuke Charles Darwin's theories of evolution, published in 1859 and seen by some as heretic.


Scenes from the Creation story (above) and Adam and Eve (below). 


Below, the building of Noah's Ark.


Around the arched entrance to the chancel is a Jesse Tree, tracing the lineage of Jesus from King David.


By 1972, when the church was surveyed by the famous architectural historian, Nikolaus Pevsner (1902-1983), for his guide books, the paintings were seriously damaged and decayed by dirt and damp. In his memory, the Pevsner Memorial Trust undertook a complete restoration and preservation in the late 1980s. Now, they really are a breath-taking sight!

Whereas the nave holds Old Testament stories, the chancel has New Testament references, with depictions of the Nativity and parables like the Prodigal Son and the Good Samaritan.


I couldn't see the Passion story told on the walls but the carved reredos behind the altar depicts the crucifixion, as did one of the stained glass windows.


Below is the panel showing the Annunciation. 


Once my eyes had accustomed to the gloom (and I found a light switch and let the lights warm up), I spent the best part of an hour marvelling at the paintings. I can't think of another church where I have seen anything similar, though there was of course the amazing medieval wall art in the Cotswold church in Oddington that I saw last summer (HERE).

7 comments:

  1. Wow! Worth waiting an extra day to see.
    It's similar, though on a larger scale, to the church at Hildersham which I visited in Nov 2017. That was also done by Clayton and Bell, and there's said to be another like it at Highnam in Gloucestershire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning - I want to visit this church now.
    I know the church at Highnam that John mentions very well. I very nearly called in to photograph it last week, but ran out of time. I will make a point of doing so soon. The frescos at Highnam were painted by Thomas Gambier Parry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful art. It' so nice to see paintings on walls. Not done frequently!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is truly amazing, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jenny - what an amazing church ... I know I'm late ... but I've been wanting to read this. Quite extraordinary and so beautiful - no wonder you sat and contemplated the interior... thank you for sharing with us such beautiful photos. Gosh I'd love to see it in person ...

    Wonderful links ... and I see John has added a few others ... this is delightful - loved it thank you ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete