I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 10 January 2018

Unremarkable scenes


I've been inspired in the past year by a photographer called Lizzie Shepherd, who is based in Yorkshire. She exhibited at 'Art in the Pen' in Skipton last summer and I've been to a couple of talks and presentations she has given, including one at the camera club I belong to. I find her work intriguing. She is technically superb and compositionally precise but, along with the detail, there is often a soft, almost ephemeral, quality to her images that I really like. I find the mixture of precision and gentleness to be very beguiling. She often photographs the kinds of scenes that I find myself intuitively drawn to. Some of her work is very subtle, what she herself calls 'unremarkable scenes' - but the more I look at them, the more I see. My own work is nowhere near her league (nor is my equipment!) but nevertheless she inspires me.

The photo above is what I'd call an unremarkable scene. It was taken on a walk round Bingley St Ives estate on a really dull, dreary and misty day. (Not the kind of mist that enlivens a scene!) I'd passed this way many times before but never really noticed the spiral sculpture. Something about the light that day drew attention to it. For some reason that I am struggling to grasp, I really like this photo: the subtle colours, the way the spiral is counterbalanced by the little fir tree on the left, the tilt of the sculpture echoed by the tilt of that birch trunk, the horizontal branches that bring your eye round... Not everybody's cup of tea, I know, but I like it.

5 comments:

  1. I like the absolutely perfect exposure of the birch tree. I like your photos because of the fascinating subjects you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it! The sculpture is like an extrusion from another world into the softness of the scene. A little eerie and quite evocative. And the muted colors are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sculpture certainly does draw the eye. Good shot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sculpture is what first drew my eye! It is a peaceful pic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Magical photo
    I imagine a wizard strolling through the ferns, the spiral as his hat.

    ReplyDelete