I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Friday 5 April 2019

A fine day for a walk


I took my car to the garage in Silsden for its annual service and first MOT. (It passed!) Since I had several hours to kill and it was a glorious, though chilly, day, I went for a long walk along the canal. (Ten miles!)  Silsden is a small town up the Aire valley on the way to Skipton. It is expanding fast as new properties are being built and some of the old mills are being converted to housing. As I walked west out of the town, I noticed there's a new estate growing up on both sides of the canal. From here, Silsden Boats hires out its canal cruisers. At this time of year, out of season, the canal is lined with all their narrowboats. 


My route took me through the village of Kildwick and on to Bradley, another old village that has expanded with lots of new houses. I'd never actually been there before, as it sits off the main road up a lane that really only leads to the village, so one tends just to whizz past in the car. Here again, the textile mill that led to Bradley's original growth in the 19th century from an agricultural hamlet, has been converted to apartments. 


There seemed to be few amenities in the village apart from a chapel, a village shop and a cricket field but it seemed a nice little place. 


There was a small park, nicely cared for, beside the canal so that was a good place to stop for a rest before I retraced my steps to collect my car.


8 comments:

  1. That looks a lovely walk. The reflections in the first photo are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good way to spend the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How great that the former mill buildings have a new use. I am struck by how clean and tidy everything looks. Either you are not in a littering area, you chose pristine subjects, or someone keeps things cleaned up well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful places. I look at the store front thinking about "Open All Hours," looking as if I expect David Jason to walk out the door.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At first I had my doubts, but the decision to transfer our waterways authority to a charitable organization was an inspired idea. Our inland waterways can tap funds for communal benefit. Each year thousands of dedicated volunteers do wonderful work. Our canal now looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a nice walk, good to see the canal is clean and tidy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that was a long walk. You are certainly staying fit in retirement. The photos and landscapes are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete