I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 3 April 2019

Negative space


The theme for my online photo group for February was 'Negative space'. Basically, that is the area that surrounds your subject, and it is as important as the subject itself in terms of composition. Too little negative space makes the picture complicated and busy. There's a great article about it HERE. I found it quite an interesting topic to study and I found it hard to decide between several different images.




4 comments:

  1. I like the third photo very much. I read the article that you gave a link to. Unfortunately when I look at the work by the photographer who wrote it I don't see much evidence of negative space! I think it's one of those ideas that should be used sparingly as a sort of surprise to the viewer. On the other hand I know that many professionals shoot in this way, but that's so the image can be cropped in different ways by the photo editor and insert print upon the blank parts of the image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good reminder in framing (finding the subject against the background) when taking photos. I love casual (vs. studio or posed) photos, and the opportunities to include or not, whatever is also out there. You usually have interesting backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the 1st one best! An interesting exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your third shot is my favourite of the set.

    ReplyDelete