I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Thursday 30 January 2020

Salts Mill yard


The walk through Salts Mill yard from the rear used to be a frequent route for me, my regular lunchtime leg-stretch circular when I was working. Since I retired, I rarely go that way, more often taking the canalside route past the mills. This day however, I was wearing a decent pair of leather boots, not my usual walking clobber, so I decided I would avoid the canal towpath as it is currently really muddy in parts.

Salts Mill always looks stunning on a sunny, blue sky day. The honeyed stone is shown at its mellow best. This route is the one you'd take as a visitor arriving from the main car park, and passes right beside the massive chimney before entering the mill through the glass portico into the 1853 Gallery on the ground floor. (Many visitors, of course, enter from the Victoria Road end of the mill, from the village, as I usually do now.)


I took a detour through the Mill itself. The soft music, calm atmosphere and scent of lilies in the 1853 Gallery is supremely relaxing. I always leave feeling better about myself and the world.

5 comments:

  1. Your mill sounds really, really nice. I was never inside, a pleasure yet to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is such a gorgeous building!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Soft music, calm atmosphere and scent of lilies" - must be very different from the ambience of the mill in its heyday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tall chimneys are fascinating. The color of the magnificent building shows well in your photos.

    ReplyDelete