I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Sunday 26 January 2020

Student days


After I'd walked round Lister Park, I suddenly took it into my head to walk down Manningham Lane towards Bradford city centre. It was, in many ways, a nostalgia trip, as I passed two places I once used to live, as a student and then when I returned to Bradford in my late twenties. Even in those days (1970s) it was a bit of a run-down area, full of student bedsits. These days it is even more sad, with many empty properties, a lot of litter and decay. The once-grand Victorian villas, former homes of wealthy Victorian industrialists like Titus Salt, now need a good deal of work to bring them up to a decent standard again, though it could be a lovely area if it had enough money spent on it.

One street with particular potential is Apsley Crescent (above). (I believe it was the birthplace of an old school friend of mine, who reads this blog. She may be interested!) It is supposedly a conservation area, having some large and at one time beautiful properties, built in the 1850s in the Classical and Italianate styles that were popular in Victorian Bradford.


Most of them are now either empty, used as commercial premises or broken up into flats and bedsits. The Manningham area is one of the most culturally diverse in Bradford, with many residents of Pakistani and Bangladeshi origin, Afro-Caribbeans, Eastern Europeans, and still some students living there (though many now live in rather stylish modern blocks in the city centre, of a luxurious standard that would have been unthinkable in my student days!)


4 comments:

  1. Our very first terrace house was not nearly as handsome as yours! It was in Frizinghall off Manningham Lane. During WW2 housing was very difficult to obtain. Next door 17 expatriate Poles driven out by Hitler shared one house. For me aged two Frizinghall had a special charm. I could see and hear the steam engines in Frizinghall Station. "Ah, chuff-chuff!" I breathed in ecstatic delight......In later years I had responsibility for tanker steam turbine plants of 30.000 hp. Yes, I was still enchanted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fortunately stone walls (or brick) don't show their ages as poorly as painted surfaces. There's still hope for those buildings, I think. Inside them might be another matter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope they eventually get restored and used again.

    ReplyDelete