I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Friday 3 January 2020

Zen and the art of walking


Despite fairly constant light drizzle, I decided I'd have a walk on Christmas Eve. I chose one of my usual routes along the canal, from Saltaire to the Five Rise Locks in Bingley. Everywhere is so muddy at the moment and at least the towpath is a little firmer most of the way. There is, anyway, a simple pleasure in taking the paths much travelled and really noticing the sights, at once familiar and at the same time always new and fresh. I didn't take my 'big camera'. There is a freedom in walking untrammelled and I had my phone with me. 

The first thing I stopped to photograph in my zen mode was a slender twig (below), still hanging on to green leaves. Lovely in its simplicity, I thought. I liked the delicate leaves against the rough bark of the big tree trunk beside it. 

A little further on, I stopped to appreciate my two favourite trees and - oh joy! - suddenly there was a rainbow. How perfect! I felt very blessed, I have to say. 


Even sweeter, as I crossed over the canal bridge at Dowley Gap, a lady approached me and thanked me for stopping to photograph the trees. 'It was because of you', she said, 'that I noticed the rainbow.'  I must say I can't think of a nicer ambition, in this New Year, than to be the means by which other people notice the rainbow.

8 comments:

  1. In effect the charming lady gave you your own Christmas present, the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rainbow pic is beautiful, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of these are beautiful...one because you framed it just right, and the other because you stopped and saw the rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photo! You were there at the exact moment you were meant to be there. That rainbow yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely Beautiful - Well Done As Always

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always loved your photos and our long distance friendship too. I love that someone noticed the rainbow because of you. I have that happen too....mekes me happy!

    ReplyDelete