I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Sunday 9 June 2019

St Dogmael's market


Wales: St Dogmael's has a local producers' market every Tuesday, with all the produce grown, reared or produced within a 30 mile radius of the village. Situated beside the ruined abbey and next to the Coach House Visitor Centre, the market is a colourful sight and packed with high quality goods, both food and crafts. We enjoyed browsing the stalls, buying cheese, pickles and other things.


I was tempted by the dressed crab. (I love fresh crab but it's hard to get at home, being so far from the coast.) However, as we were on our way out for the day, I decided it might not keep so well in a hot car!

The display of hand-knitted socks was colourful, though I wonder if they might be a bit itchy...


Music was provided by a skilled accordionist - and very good coffee is available in the visitor centre adjacent to the market place. We stopped there several times for refreshment during the week. It has a café, shop and gallery and holds some interesting information and objects related to St Dogmael's Abbey.


I fell in love with a small earthenware bowl by the ceramicist David Small, decorated with a pretty turquoise glaze. It was very reasonably priced so I treated myself to it. I've brought it home and then suddenly decided to 'refresh' my whole sitting room around the colour. The decor is mainly neutral cream and I add colour with accessories. I then proceeded to spend four times as much again (!) on new turquoise cushions to match, swapped around some pictures and feel delighted with the new look! 


7 comments:

  1. Everything in St.Dogmaels looks so clean, including the accordionist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear of your choice of a piece of pottery that helped inspire your re-decorating! Potters who take their wares to market have to be very strong people to carry the weight of pottery from vehicle to the display. I'm sure David Small packed his pots in those display crates for moving them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you'd purchased some socks you could have bought new matching clothes too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a fine market!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Local farmers markets are a very good thing.

    ReplyDelete