I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 19 June 2019

Ten years of reasons to be glad (iolus)


This is another image I produced in Photoshop. I've used layers and some motion blur to give an impressionistic feel. It's a bed of gladioli, stately blooms with long colourful spikes of flowers, that were growing in the allotments in front of Salts Mill. They're kind of old-fashioned; I remember my grandma used to grow them in her garden. She used to call them 'gladdies'. Plenty of reasons to be glad... not least that it's my birthday today!

I also realise that I have now passed the ten year milestone for this blog. Ten years! How did that happen? When I started it in June 2009, my aim was simply to challenge myself: to take more photos, to take better photos, to take more notice of and learn more about my home village (Saltaire, which had recently been designated a World Heritage Site) and to learn how to compose a blog. I had not expected to fall in love so completely with the process and discipline of blogging. Nor did I foresee just how passionate I would become about photography or how that would open up the world to me, to learning and exploring. Nor did I realise that I'd make friends through blogging and through photography, some of whom have become really special to me. It's been (and still is) a genuine pleasure and a wonderful hobby. One day too, I guess, I'll be glad to look back on what is effectively my personal journal. It'll make me smile and remember all the good days. And if, as it seems, in the process I am making a few other folk smile sometimes, well, that's well worth it too, wouldn't you say?

7 comments:

  1. Many Happy Returns of the Day, Jennie! May your days always be glad ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a good birthday. Lovely image of dear old Glad - a friend of my mother's used to say she was going to see how Glad and Iris were getting on when she intended to do some gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Jenny - lovely impressionistic photo of the 'Glads'. I really enjoyed reading your summing up of your blog journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to you! I'm so glad I found your blog through another blogger's list that she followed. I've been searching through blogs as some of my old favorites have disappeared. I hope you keep on blogging and sharing your art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the 10th Blog Birthday, Jenny. I read you every day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you started this project. Yes. Worthwhile to many others as well as you. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete