I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 10 October 2018

A Lincolnshire amble


My sister lives in rural Lincolnshire, on a ridge of high ground that runs south from the city of Lincoln. I visited recently and we went for a late afternoon amble along the escarpment, looking westwards across the Vale of Trent. So different from where I live, you could see for miles across the predominantly agricultural landscape, though it was a hazy sort of light.

This year's harvest is in and the fields were being ploughed ready for planting. As we walked home along the byways, the traffic mainly consisted of tractors and ploughs making their way back to their farms. Tractors these days are huge and very high tech. Look at those wheels!


There was an abundance of berries on the trees and some blackberries in the hedgerows, as well as boughs heavy with fruit on the apple trees. I'm never quite sure if the amount of fruit simply reflects the conditions over the past spring and summer or if it really does foretell of a hard winter to come. We'll find out soon enough!



Although I love Yorkshire's valleys and stone walls, all the Lincolnshire green and the open sky gives me a lovely sense of space and freedom.



5 comments:

  1. I love that agricultural view (working fields are my idea of healthy) as well as the berries and apples. Someone's going to have lots to eat for winter...that's the message I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing views from the high ground.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beautiful country photo above could have been taken just one mile from my house here in Germany. My first 1967 memory is of driving through freshly harvested corn fields shining gold before a deep green forest. The Weser river shone silver in the autumn sun. I was, and still am, enchanted by my German home.

    ReplyDelete