I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 16 October 2018

Upriver


I'm so happy to be able to access tranquil spots like this, a mere ten minutes walk from home. The top photo is the River Aire on the edge of Saltaire's Roberts Park. I just nipped behind the cricket scorebox to take it! I once took a winter photo from more or less the same spot (see HERE) and that has an equally tranquil - though different - vibe. 

The photo below is half a mile further upstream, at Hirst Weir. You can just see the rowing club headquarters on the bank on the right. Someone has recently thrown a plank across a narrow channel in the river, so that you can now stand on a small island beyond the trees on the bank and get a much better view of the weir itself. I wasn't getting my feet wet! (Most of my photos of the weir are taken looking downstream, from beside the fence you can just see on the right.) There's not much water coming down the river. It has continued relatively dry after our very dry summer. 


5 comments:

  1. That's a very special place to have so near to home. I have a tiny brook near me here, even though it's called a river.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The river is beautiful! How lucky for you that it is so close!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must get tired of hearing me (us) say how beautiful your photos are ...I'l try to think of some synonyms! I think I prefer rivers that are low flow to those we've had lately with flooding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those rocky stretches would be quite a challenge in a canoe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful is there fish in there?

    ReplyDelete