I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 17 October 2018

Ogden Water




A beautifully warm, sunny autumn day meant I had to get out and enjoy it, so I took a trip to Ogden Water, a reservoir and nature reserve on the moorland up above Halifax. Built over 160 years ago, originally to power mills, it was adapted to provide drinking water for Calderdale. The bad news is that they are running out of it! I was quite shocked to realise the impact our dry summer has had on our water reserves. Normally the reservoir would be full up to the treeline.

The surrounding estate and woodland is managed as a nature reserve, with a small visitor centre and café, and walking and orienteering trials. The path round the lakeside is flat and suitable for wheelchairs and pushchairs so it is a popular spot. (Rather a pity that the car park is quite small, rough and difficult to access.)

I didn't get the autumn reflection shots I'd envisaged... but the colours in the woodland were attractive and I really enjoyed the sunshine.


4 comments:

  1. The atmosphere in the wood is amazing. I can't hear the name Ogden without thinking of dear old Stan on Coronation St - he was usually thirsty too as I remember!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So strange that your area (and others) is drought stricken, while we (and others) have floods from rains and hurricanes. Mother nature is doing what she does best. Different changes these days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems so unlike England to have low water problems!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is definitely troubling, seeing the water at such low levels.

    ReplyDelete