I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Sunday 21 October 2018

Hepworth at The Hepworth


The sculptor Barbara Hepworth (1903 -1975) was born and educated in Wakefield, although she famously belonged to the St. Ives artistic colony in Cornwall, along with her husband Ben Nicholson. (I was impressed to learn that she continued to work despite having triplets in 1934, as well as a son by a previous marriage!) The Hepworth gallery was built in 2011 to house the City of Wakefield's art collection and provide a legacy for the sculptor. It holds a large collection of her work: sculptures, paintings and sketches; tools and archives, along with many other works by significant British artists of the 20th century, including that other famous Yorkshire-born sculptor Henry Moore.

I particularly liked the bronze cast of Dame Barbara's left hand - her 'thinking hand', as she called it. My eye was also caught by this grouping of larger sculptures (below), in different materials; solid and yet fluid and tactile.


Some of her work marries bronze or stone with intricate stringing or wires. I enjoyed the play of light and shade in them.


4 comments:

  1. I love the Hepworth gallery. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing her work! I love sculpture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last one particularly draws my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It appears that my email account has been hacked. I’ve received several threatening and sick messages over the last day. As a result I have closed that account so it’s no longer operable. If the account has been hacked it’s likely that my contacts are known so be warned – do not open any emails purporting to come from me and beware of any other communications from unknown sources and do NOT open any attachments.
    I’m sorry to be such a nuisance and I have no idea how the hack took place. I’ve taken all possible steps to prevent further problems.

    ReplyDelete