I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 4 February 2020

Along the canal


A crisp, frosty morning had me out for a walk, and I chose to follow the less scenic route on the canal bank, through Shipley, rather than my usual walk towards Dowley Gap. I bumped into some friends in Saltaire and stopped for a chat. That was nice. Then I came across an elderly lady who had fallen into the canal by the mill. That wasn't nice! She had been helped out by a man, who was emptying her wellies back into the canal. I stopped to see if I could assist but there were already people with her, so I walked on. She'd be at risk of hypothermia as the water must have been freezing, so I hope she got home safely to warm up and dry off. She said she lived nearby. It was a little greasy with frost on the towpath, so maybe she slipped.

Further on, I noticed a new 'wellbeing' garden area that has been created by students on an educational scheme. It's not in a particularly lovely spot but it has made a tatty area rather nicer. It's always good to have a few benches where people can sit and watch the world go by.

Further on still and I came to the old bridge at the junction with the former Bradford branch canal. Again, not an especially beautiful area now, but it's interesting and there were two swans with their wings raised, which added a little grace.


The bridge here has a lovely sweeping line, always good for a mono picture.


The swan is one of a pair who nest in this area. They raised at least two cygnets this past year and the younger ones, now adult-sized, were gliding around a little further down the canal. I'm not sure why they sometimes swim with their wings arched, but it looks so attractive when they do.


Finally I spotted this otterly gorgeous stuffed toy on the Canal and River Trust stall. Isn't it cute? Otters have been seen locally, thanks to remedial work done along the canal and river banks, and the gradual improvement in water quality along the River Aire.


8 comments:

  1. As the legal successors to the erstwhile Bradford Canal Company, assuming British Transport Waterways did not sell it, this former transfer warehouse must now belong to the Canal and River Trust. It has become a complete eyesore. The CRT should should remove it, or the Council make a compulsory order and sell it on to property developers as has happened with Ramsay's boatyard next door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel very deprived, living in a largely canal-free part of the country.
    Swans usually do that when they are threatened in some way. Presuming that they are used to people pointing cameras at them, it was probably two males establishing their territories. It's called "busking" by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting John. I didn't know that. It looks too pretty to be aggressive - but then, I'm not a swan.

      Delete
  3. I love the sweep of the bridge...well captured in your monochrome photo. I also like to look at old buildings, but I can see that the ruin by the bridge isn't particularly beautiful. But I do wonder what those doors over the canal once led to, perhaps porches. Or being commercial, perhaps just ways to load and unload wares from barges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fortunately the lady was assisted.

    The bridge is quite graceful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chills reading about the women that fell into the canal. I am glad she was saved.
    Interesting about the swans. I didn't know that do that. Beautiful photo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have written to the CRT to ask them whether they are indeed the owners of this derelict property, and await an answer.

    ReplyDelete