I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Friday 7 February 2020

Do not cross


The stepping stones across the River Wharfe at Burley were barely discernible. Last summer I watched people skipping happily across (see HERE) and you could walk back along the river bank almost up to the weir. Now the river is thundering over the weir and filling the whole width of its channel. The river level can, apparently, rise up very quickly here, so I was careful. There wasn't really anywhere to stand to look back upriver and I couldn't haul myself up high enough to look over the wall so I didn't manage a photo of the weir this time. The resident heron flew away too, before I managed to snap him!

4 comments:

  1. Water is so heavy - one cubic meter weighs one ton - it sweeps all before it. The meadow bank (photo top) has been thoroughly eroded away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking at the photos on your link, it is a chilling to see most of the steps under water.

    ReplyDelete