I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Saturday 15 February 2020

Shipley Wharf


In winter, when I tend to take fewer long walks, I make a point of walking rather than taking the car if I want to go into Shipley town centre to the library or shops. If I haven't too many heavy things to carry back, I'll take 'the scenic route' back, avoiding the main road. I join the canal towpath at Shipley Wharf. The view up towards Salts Mill and Saltaire from the elevated bridge is one that I rather like; I call it the 'three chimneys view'. Two of the chimneys belong to the old mills on Ashley Lane. The third one, on the right, is Salts Mill chimney. It is much taller than the others but so much further away that perspective plays tricks.

6 comments:

  1. Traditionally Yorkshire boatmen lived in Shipley. A night policeman oversaw the hundreds of loaded boats from here whilst the hardworking boatmen took a few hours rest. Behind the white fence and greenery was a working mill with boiler house next to the towpath. As a boy here I discovered the world of work. I helped shovel 40 tons of coal from the barge "Eric" into barrows to wheel over wooden planks into the boiler house. The sweepings were carefully swept into a corner of the hold to fire the cabin stove on the 7 hour journey back to Leeds, thence Castleford pit on the Aire and Calder. In 1963 after a bitter freeze-up lorries took over this work which never returned. A modern hotel now stands where I voluntarily toiled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is so much that is wonderful about the composition of this photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photo, and I enjoyed your commenter, Peter's story about his life earlier on. It's always interesting to look at the boats, wonder who lives on them, or are they just vacation spots for some folks these days, and then read about when there were working barges on the canal. And the chimneys have watched through the years.

    ReplyDelete