I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Thursday 20 February 2020

Girls in the Wind


'Girls in the Wind' may have been on display at The Hepworth for a while but I'd never noticed it before. A small bronze sculpture by Betty Rea (1904-1965), it depicts two young friends, their hair and clothes blown by the wind. I liked the liveliness and movement in it, which contrasted with the heavy feel of the bronze itself. 


Rea studied at the Royal College of Art and stayed faithful to figurative work when others were moving towards abstract modernism. In an art world largely dominated by men, these depictions of women by a female artist have a significant place. 

The ethereal sculpture below attracted me. Called 'Double Vision' and created by Leeds-born artist Caroline Broadbent, it is made of nylon and explores duality and liminal space. The dress is a metaphor for the person, the meeting point for the inside with the rest of the world. 


6 comments:

  1. I like all your sculptures, especially the ethereal one which moves me very much. How nice that we are blessed with people who can create such beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone whose attempts at sculpture never got any further than pinching a nose on a lump of plasticine and making a mouth and eyes with my fingernail, I'm always in awe of those who achieve such realism and detail, especially when working at such a small scale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely bronze work...definitely has achieved the movement of wind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that bronze piece, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pieces of art and lovely captures! It was only the other day I decided I must visit The Hepworth's soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That first one is quite a sculpture!

    ReplyDelete