I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Sunday 2 February 2020

I can see clearly now...


I promised a proper update on the cataract surgery... I have to say I'm really enjoying no longer having to wear glasses. The wonder of the miracle operation has completely blown my mind. It was so easy and painless, it only took about fifteen minutes each time. Three weeks on from the second surgery and my sight has pretty much settled down, so that I can see distance quite clearly. I still need reading glasses; I'm making do with some of those cheap off-the-peg ones until I can get my eyes tested properly in a few more weeks. Using the desktop computer is the trickiest bit, since it's neither near nor far but somewhere in the middle! I'm back to wearing mascara (phew! I hate being without it!) and feeling quite renewed. The best bit is being able to drive at night without suffering the painful glare of halos round lights.

If anyone is thinking of getting it done, I'd say 'go for it'. I haven't regretted it so far. There was a short period when I couldn't see clearly and, since I can't hear clearly either (being deaf), the combination was all a bit upsetting! Thankfully that didn't last long. I've also developed a black 'floater' in my right eye which can be a bit annoying, but that is more a product of age than the surgery I believe. I feel very fortunate to live somewhere where I could so easily get this treatment, and at a time when the technology is so advanced. (At one time I think you had to lie flat on your back for two weeks after the operation!) I'm still on the eye drops regime for another week or so, but that's a small price to pay for the privilege of better sight. I'm very thankful.

I keep finding that song running through my head:
'I can see clearly now (the rain has gone).
It's going to be a bright, bright, bright, bright sunshiny day'. 


9 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny - that's brilliant ... I'm so pleased for you. I've had floaters for years - they become a way of life fairly quickly - so you'll forget you've got one or more ... just when someone mentions them ... I remember I have them! Thankfully no cataracts - but the surgery is just brilliant. Just such excellent news for you - enjoy the freedom. Cheers Hilary
    PS - love the prompt ... I suspect another grey, damp one here ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look like a very happy teenager! What a lovely photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny!
    I hope you'll get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super news...and you look lovely. So happy for you. Indeed a bright bright sunshiny day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a lovely photo of you Jenny, and also really lovely news too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look great.
    Thank you for sharing your experience. I feel better about making that eye exam appointment I've been putting of.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good news. You post such fine photos, I'm glad you can have confidence in keeping on! I always enjoy your narratives as well. Thanks....

    ReplyDelete